Mario Rodwald, current German freestyle champion, is the leader in the KTE freestyle ranking 2011. He won the KTE Germany in the challenging conditions of Sylt as well as the KTE Italy (shared 1st place with Seb Garat) in light wind conditions demonstrating that he is on top of the game this year. In St. Gilles Croix de Vie, he wants to win his first European Championship title!
(Please complete the sentence) If I ever become European Kiteboarding Champion,
- I will throw a big party at home!
(Please complete the sentence) If I had the chance to bring the KTE to any spot in Europe, this spot would be
- Kaegnes in Denmark.
Do you have any special routine/habit just before going into competition?
- Before going into my heat I spend some time alone and listen to some motivating electro beats.
Imagine you meet a person somewhere in the world and you have to explain to him/her what kiteboarding is all about. What
would you say?
- It´s the sport with the most possibilities!
With which person would you like to switch lifes for one day? Why?
- I would like to sit in the white house for a day, just to understand what´s really going on in this world.
Who do you admire? Why?
- People living below poverty level and still enjoy every single day they live.
Tell us something people don’t know about you…crazy habits, events in life, whatever!
- When there is no wind I love flying with my rc plane. Some people think it´s nerd style, but I am so fascinated by anything that flies.
Imagine the wind forecast says perfect conditions but when you arrive at the spot the wind has dropped and people come off the water smiling after a great session. What’s the first thing you do?
- Enjoy that I´ m at the beach.
Best event (kitesurfing, sport, music, etc) I have ever been to:
- Red Bull Air Race Interlaken
Greatest person I have ever met:
- my parents.
Imagine you go on tour, who would be your room mate from the KTE circuit?
- The best parties turn out when all the riders stay in one hotel: just imagine Ned Tayler, Luke Whiteside, Nils Wesch, Stefan Spiessberger, Hela Brochocka, Stefan Permien and the rest in one room.
What is your answer to the question “Is kiteboarding a dangerous sport?”
- I totally agree that it can be dangerous! But if all people visit kiteschools and stick to the rules they learn there most of the risk factors become really small.
What are the three things you would take to a lonely island?
- My diary, my Iphone and my sunglasses.
Imagine you come late to an important meeting because the wind conditions were too nice. What’s your excuse / alibi?
- Sorry guys, just came from the water.
Lara Croft, Spiderman, Lucky Luke, Hulk Hogan or the A-Team..Who was your childhood friend?
- Bugs Bunny
Short answer section:
Best Food: Salmon with fried potatoes and spinach
Nicest People: met so many people who would apply to this category, but mostly my family!
Best Waves: For Kitesurf - Mauritius, for Surf - Indonesia
Best Flatwater: Kaegnes, Denmark
Best Friend: youll mee﷽﷽﷽﷽enmarkurf- us, for Surf Indo this category, but mostly my family!! will meet him at one of the KTE parties next year
Best Music Group: Jimmy eat World
Best Movie: Fightclub
Best Ice Cream: Ben and Jerrys
Place I want to live one day: near the sea
Last place I visited: Brazil
Next place I am going to visit: somewhere where with waves and flat water
I ride at the Kitesurf Tour Europe because it´s a perfect stage to show my latest tricks.
Thanks a lot for answering this questionnaire! Looking forward to meeting you soon at the most beautiful European beaches!